Short and Long Rest

House Rules, World Building, Questions, all go here.
Dave

Short and Long Rest

Post by Dave » Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Starting the discussion with this Sage Advice- https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/27/ca ... long-rest/

Crawford says its not the intent to be able to take a short and long rest at the same time.

RAI ain’t RAW. And I don’t know if that answers the question raised about does an interupted Long Rest give the benefits of a Short Rest.

Post up links, comments, ideas for XP.
kyle wrote:The party then goes full retard

Kyle

Re: Short and Long Rest

Post by Kyle » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am

I'm fine with this, I just see us taking more short tests vs going right for a long rest.

Do we know how many short rests we get per day?

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 am

Kyle wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am
Do we know how many short rests we get per day?
Was just researching that: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/01/21/ho ... e-per-day/

Crawford basically says "not really'," and after additional reading I am fine with that.

Once your HD are spent on healing, those can't be recovered except by a long rest which has a once per 24hr limit on them already.

When it comes to what actually interrupts a long rest, check this out: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions ... -long-rest

Mearls says that a short/small scale combat encounter by itself would not interrupt a long rest to the point that the benefits don't happen. So I am thinking that the spider encounter by itself would not mess up the parties long rest.

Now if something else happens, well, let's not worry too much about that. I am sure that you guys will be able to rest soundly...

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am

Looks like we aren't the only ones trying to figure out resting: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?73 ... t-all-over

13 pages...

jbvholli

Post by jbvholli » Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 am

so then short or long rests are granted by the DM without player input AND our spider battle didn't interrupt our long rest?

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

I think how it works is the players say "we want to rest now." The party can certainly indicate if they want to take a short rest, or if their intent is to go for a long rest.

The limitations on activities that are allowed to happen in order to gain the benefits of the particular type of rest are in the PH, but as the 13 page forum link above shows, they are somewhat poorly written. Well, at least the long rest part.

The DM determines if an event happens during a rest period that can interrupt that rest.

The DM also determines if the interruption is severe enough that no benefits are gained from that rest.

As I understand it, the spider encounter by itself is not enough to keep the party from benefiting from the LR. However, if something else happens, who knows.

Now even though the rules do not expressly say so, I see no problem with the party gaining the benefits of a SR if they manage to get at least an hour into a LR without an interruption or activity that would normally break a SR.

Example- the party decides to go for a long rest. 3 hours into the long rest, a massive pack of trolls descends on them. When the party springs into action, they will be able burn HD to heal, and regain any abilities that reset on a short rest as detailed in the PH.

Now for the "1 hour of _________" part of the LR rule: not sure how I feel about the combat part of that. Being attacked by 4 giant spiders that you guys take less than 30 seconds in game to take out is a far cry from the above mentioned descending pack of trolls. If you guys start taking shit loads of damage, and blast off a whole bunch of spells and whacking the shit out them, it seems kind of weird that you can just lay on down back to sleep as long as that combat was less than 60 minutes.

I freely admit my prejudice is probably based on earlier editions, and my growing belief that 5e is more than a little pussified (but its still a great ruleset).

Keep in mind that the game designers planned for a typical adventuring day to have 6-8 encounters (not all combat encounters, and what combat encounters that do happen are not all deadly), 2 short rests, and a long rest.

rgl2112
Site Admin

Post by rgl2112 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:30 pm

That's the way I take it. My initial take on it from the very beginning has been like one commenter asked on the first link you posted:

One thought on “Can a PC benefit from short rests during a long rest?”
Shannon Carroll McLaren
I find this ruling rather odd for 1 reason. Its no where written that a rest needs to be a stated activity. Its reads as though its a when your meet these requirements you gain this benefit. So at what point does it need to be stated and the type of rest chosen?
This goes in line with your last post, we may get the benefits of a short rest when "Resting" if a long rest is interrupted by a more severe encounter than spiders. A troll barrage would definitely not be restful even after 5 minutes of that kind of combat. I submit my resting whims to the DM, we declare rest, he decides what benefits we get.

If we are resting in a thunderstorm without cover, do we get any rest? I think old editions covered this. But I'd let the DM decide how restful that decision would really be...
By Karamaka's Will

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:17 pm

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/down ... Errata.pdf

Long Rest (p. 186). The first sentence of the rule now reads, “A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as read- ing, talking, eating, or standing watch.”
In addition, you regain at least one Hit Die when you finish a long rest.

Dunno how we missed this in the previous discussion, but there you go.

Combat wrecks long rests. So does spell casting.