What Polydorus Gave You

For ongoing Forum gameplay outside of weekly sessions.
Dave

What Polydorus Gave You

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:19 pm

The Letter

To Polydorus, Seer of Daveryn, Unwinged but wise:

Behold, I the Stormborn King need your counsel. I have taken Chargammon’s whelp, the black dragon Jeratheon Knightsbane. He foolishly tried to lay claim to my dominion and by talon and thunderbolt did we humble this night hunter. My heart speaks to slay this monster and see his evil forever removed from both earth and sky. Still, I worry this would bring the wrath of his sire.

So I send to you. What say the stars? Will the death of Jeratheon invite disaster or will it bring only justice and relief? I await your word.

I remain the Lord of All Eagles and the Stormborn King.
---------------------------------------------
The Book

From Polydorus' book "The Dragons of Arre":
Romulus, Draconis Rex, The Dragon of the City- the current "Draconis Rex." Has held that title since shortly after the death of Melchiziac the Elder, The Dragon of the Lake. Served Malcheziac until he was slain at the Battle of Griffon Heights. Lives somewhere in Deeploch. Is thought to often walk the city in human form, mingling with the people. Has a twin brother named Remus who serves as a Judge in Sigil. Legend has it that they were "born of the same egg." Wields the Diadem, an extremely powerful draconic artifact. Has come to the defense of Deeploch many times in history.

Antharia, Light of the North – a silver elder wyrm from the north not seen in a century; mother of Argossarian; hasn't been seen in a very long time and Polydorus assumes she is dead. She could take human form and loved to move amongst mortals. Also thought to be Consort to Romulus.

Eiramanthus the Traveller – an ancient copper dragon famed for his planar travels. It mentions his three beloved consorts who would die to defend him: Setia Swims-the-Sea-of-Stars; Sakura Yoshimune of the Toshigami; and Shakti Shobhana the Redeemed. Lives on an island in the Sea Princes Holds called Straya Avarna, which mean "Jewels I could not part with" in the 'High Draconic' language.

Chargammon the Black – a black dragon elder wyrm. “The vilest serpent in a nest of vipers;” It gives the location of his lair as being somewhere in the delta of the Tildress River, on a rocky island. Chargammon has spawned more dragons than any other on Arre. Many have been slain, some have left Arre. There are a few left, and he hasn't sired any in a while. Polydorus think it's because his mate was slain. Amongst them:

Nightscale- Chargammon's youngest child. Had taken up residence in the old dwarven fortress of Khundrukar. Was very recently slain by a group of adventurers with ties to the Wardens called The Heroes of Oakhurst.

And:

Jeratheon Knightsbane – an adult black dragon and hunter of men. He dwells in the swamps of the Miht Quaqmire.

And:

Ghidorra Wavebane- an old black dragon that lives on Tuneap Island at the western most edge of the Lallow Sea. She has been seen over New Moon and the lands of the Lizardmen

Nythoggr, Striker-in-the-Dark – An ancient cairn linnorm of the Savage North of whom little is known.

Callius the Cruel- an old blue dragon that dwells in Lethain. Is regularly given tribute by the lords of that land. Described as "an up and comer amongst the dragons of Arre." Polydorus writes that if he doesn't get killed soon that he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

Daneaus the Bright- an ancient gold dragon that lives with the elves of Duernwood. Known to be a powerful arcane spell caster. Has a thing for music. He is believed to have sired at least a few children amongst the elves and humans of Deeploch.

Herensuge the Scaley Flame- an ancient Red dragon the dwells in the south of the Dwarvenhome Mountains. Steers clear of Deeploch and the Shield Lands. Polydorus speculates that Romulus keeps her away from Deeploch, and that there must be some kind of agreement between her and the dwarves of the Shieldlands that keep her out of their hair. He has no idea what that might be. Mother of Aragnak who was slain by an adventuring party hundreds of years ago when they managed to stick a giant oak tree to his neck...

The Great White Wyrm of the North- Polydorus knows very little about this dragon. It is very, very old. Maybe even the oldest dragon on Arre. It lives far to the north, somewhere in the polar ice cap.

Calcryx- a white dragon wrymling that was also recently slain by the Heroes of Oakhurst. Believed to be sired by the Wyrm of the North. though Polydorus has no idea how he wound up in the Bone Hills of all places.

Connorian the Great- an elder gold dragon that is a memeber of the Sanhedrin. Lives in New Makara. Spends a lot of time traveling the planes.

Kaulag Silent-Death- a red dragon believed to be a vampire. Polydorus writes that it was turned by Akasha, the Queen of Zompei. He speculates that it lives in that city.

Wise Valasyur- an ancient emerald dragon that lives far to the east over the Carrow Seas. Polydorus has met him twice, and describes him as very pleasant company.

Unnamed Brood of Shadow Dragons- Deep in the Dungeon of Graves, Rappan Athuk, there is a brood of Shadow Dragons. Polydorus knows only that they exist, and that they are the result of a mated pair, and that there are at least 5 of them. He speculates that they were brought together by Karamaka to serve her somehow, though he doesn't know in what capacity if that is true.

Polydorus also writes that were at least 4 dragons that were part of the Children's army that attacked during the Sirocco War. One was slain at the Battle of Iolore. He believes that the rest returned south, beyond the Wall. He knows almost nothing about them, except one of them was an ancient Bronze dragon named Martinus the Just. Polydorus speculates that if still alive, Martinus would be powerful enough to become Draconis Rex should Romulus die and his brother not take the mantle.

There is also a little bit of lore concerning Slavendor, Consort of Tiamat, Scourge of the Silverwood. Most of it you know already, the circumstances of his death and that his lair has never been discovered even after all this time, and his hoard includes many artifacts of great power. He does add that Slavendor was known to take humanoid form, and sired more than a few children amongst the elves and humans.

He also mentions that there is a Dragon city named Barak-Dur. He speculates that it is whatever counts as a "sacred space" for Dragons on Arre. He doesn't know where it is, though he thinks it is west of the Lallow Sea and that is is probably still inhabited. He doesn't think that Romulus lives there, though there must be a palace of sorts that he would maintain.
kyle wrote:The party then goes full retard