Max Failed Death Saves

Dave

Max Failed Death Saves

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Tossing this out there to see what you guys think. This will require a unanimous vote to enact.
Max Failed Death Saves wrote:
PC can suffer a maximum number failed death saves equal to their Constitution score.

When the PC reaches that total, they may be Resurrected/Raised/Revivify/etc only ONE more time. There is no way to extend that total short of increasing CON.

The very next time that PC reaches zero hit points, they gain a bonus reaction for a Blaze of Glory.

Blaze of Glory can be any action the PC is normally capable of.

Bonuses to the action to be awarded depending on circumstances- could be advantage, straight bonus to rolls, additional damage dice, expanded crit range, etc.

Rule of Cool is totally in effect.

Action can not be used to heal or Rez self.

PC also gets a farewell speech before permanent and irrevocable death.
What do you guys think?

As a player, I kinda dig it. But, I have never really had an issue with a character death, if that death had meaning.

As a DM, the story impact of this would be pretty amazeballs. I mean this mechanic is made to produce something epic as fuck.

If a PC dies and has to be replaced, the new guy will come in at bottom XP of the average level of the party.

Thoughts?
kyle wrote:The party then goes full retard

Kyle

Re: Max Failed Death Saves

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 am

What happens to attuned loot and leveling items? All up for grabs?

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Of course.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:35 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbCxuvknWM

The video that inspired this idea.

37 minutes in is when it comes up, but they are talking about PC death for a lot of the video leading up to it.

His original thought is for the failed death save total to be half Con. I think all of Con is way better. Half just seems harsh.

Check it out.

I would love to put this to a vote before the next session.

One more thought to consider- you guys are a bunch of Evil dudes. What do you think the Evil dude retirement plan looks like? Enjoying your ill-gotten gains? Playing shuffleboard in the retirement community common rooms while waiting for your next bland meal? Peacefully dying in your sleep?

There is no rest for the wicked.

:twisted: