Mounted Combat

Dave

Mounted Combat

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Got to thinking about mounted combat lately, and Valak can throw Find Steed now, so been looking at the mount related stuff.

Now I understand this is something that will not be coming up but so much. However, seeing as you guys are on a mission of war it's bound to come up sooner or later. Besides, what self respecting paladin of an evil Goddess bent on conquest doesn't dream of riding his enemies down and trampling them under the hoofs of his steed from Hell?

This pertains to the use of Extra Attacks by the classes that get that feature while involved in a mounted charge attack. Especially those that take advantage of the mount being able to disengage, while the rider can still make use of the Attack Action.

I came across a house rule on this that I kinda dig. I tweezed it, and want to get some feedback.
Proposed Rule wrote:When making a mounted charging attack where the mount continues moving, the attacker can increase the damage on a successful hit by one additional die of the type used for each bonus attack that they normally get for their level.
Specific example:

5th level fighter on a horse with a lance has the horse move 25ft to the target, and is able to hit it. He is committed to continue moving after he hits, so he does 2d12 + whatever his strength add is. He does not get another attack later, unless he pops an action surge.

Example 2:

An 11th level Oathbreaker on a Nightmare with a Narwal horn tipped Unholy spear runs down his hated nemesis on a full tilt, and keep on moving through his posse. He does 3d8 + STR. He doesn't get an extra attack at all.

Of course, if the rider opts to and the targets are in enough of a line, the rider can take a swing at multiple targets, for normal damage.

What do you guys think?

I think it adds a nice touch of flair to the mounted charge thing. It won't come up much I am sure, but it's bound to eventually.
kyle wrote:The party then goes full retard

Jack Hollingsworth

Re: Mounted Combat

Post by Jack Hollingsworth » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 pm

I think it tastes good

Kyle

Re: Mounted Combat

Post by Kyle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Agreed