Scroll Stuff

Dave

Scroll Stuff

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Been reading some stuff about scrolls, and the RAW seems pretty whack across the board.

I am proposing the following changes:

Basic cost to create a scroll would be: (25gp x level of spell x minimum level required to cast) + any additional material component cost associated with the spell.

Example 1- a wizard writing up a first level magic missile would need to cough up a paltry 25gp.

Example 2- a wizard writing up a 6th level magic missile would need to cough up 1,650gp

Example 3- a cleric writing up a Raise Dead scroll would need to cough up 1,625gp.

Cantrips cost are the same as a 1st level spell.

Note that this is the cost to manufacture a scroll. Retail price will be higher than that. Probably in the +50-100% range, depending on a variety of factors.

Base time to write out a scroll would be an hour a level. Cantrips as level 1.

The inks produced by the Mi-T Maw that you guys bought just so happen to work for scroll ink too. Now that I think about it, there probably should be a pad of spell scroll paper at Goya’s. Too bad they are closed on the Solstice..
kyle wrote:The party then goes full retard

Jack Hollingsworth

Re: Scroll Stuff

Post by Jack Hollingsworth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 pm

I see what you mean

Kyle

Post by Kyle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

Holy shit i wish we knew all this like 3 days game time ago... :)

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

That was what made me start researching things.

5e is great in a lot of aspects, but the costs/handling of magic items and their creation just seem wrong.

If everyone is down with this, we will implement it.

This does not change anything about writing spells in books, only scrolls. And copying a scroll into a book deletes the scroll, old school style.

Gotta figure out that scroll paper pad from Goya’s... Maybe 1000gp for a pad of 20 sheets...

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

Sounds great to me. I've hated the stupid 5E rules for scrolls since the first moment I read them. They're pretty frikkin ridiculous.

Jack Hollingsworth

Post by Jack Hollingsworth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 pm

I got a possible additional cost for Pretor...casting the spell as a ritual from his Book of Crazy may require him to actually purchase things like Augury tokens or gems and shit on top of the scroll cost or as part of? Kyle gave me a budget of 1000 gp for my list. Also what is the a price multiplier [if any] in play for the scrolls we get, because what is the source? Goya, the Baron or someplace else? MSRP is typically +50-100%.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes. Casting Augury as a ritual will require you to have some kind of divining thing worth at least 25gp. That is per PH, pg 201, under Rituals.

That additional 25gp must be factored into the cost of the scroll.

The mark up in Everett is +100%. Thats best price, after haggling. That is per the Everett Goods doc in the Dropbox.

So, buying a scroll of Augury in Everett will cost you 350gp, and you will need to shell out an additional 25gp for the divining thing to be able to cast it later.

Then you will have to spend the gp required to write it into your Book of Crazy. That will cost you an additional 100gp and 4 hours total. Per PH, under all that Warlock bull shit somewhere.

I think you will be spending 475gp on putting Augury in your book, and being able to cast it after you do.